BLOG #1



BLOG #1


AN ASPIRING NAVIGATOR'S BLOG



AET Tanker
(Image source: Google)


As stated in Rule 3 paragraph (a) in the International Regulation for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (COLREGS), the word vessel includes every description of a water craft, including non-displacement craft, WIG craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as  a means of transportation on water.

Have you ever seen a ship? Or have you ever been into one? Probably most of you yes especially a passenger ship and already had countless voyages from a certain place to another. Others, those who are fortunate enough in their careers, are working on board ship as a crew or as an officer. For those who don’t know, working on board ship is a practical job. Meaning it requires physical interaction between a person and the machinery on board, consuming an individual’s physical strength as well as test a man’s mental capability in withstanding all the pressure that is being applied on him. Majority of seafarers are men. Now the question is, is there a place for a woman in such environment? Can a woman become a seafarer too? Can a woman become one of the leaders in a male dominated seafaring industry?





          



Before I go further, allow me to introduce myself. For you, who are reading right now, good day. I am Nhilfe Mondigo Linao, a Filipino who’s currently studying as a foreign student at Malaysian Maritime Academy, one of the known maritime academies in Asia. For me, it was never an issue whether a female can become a ship officer. Yes, it is quite difficult and challenging to be a female seafarer but it never occurred to me as an impossible thought.

I am one of the fortunate sponsored scholars of Eaglestar Shipmanagement (S) Pte. Ltd. which was formerly known as AET (American Eagle Tankers) Shipmanagement (S) Pte. Ltd. Just so you know, I'm not really a blogger until I have to make a blog purposely to pass one of my academic subjects. This is my first blog ever, guess I can call myself a "blogger" now (laughs). Anyways, since I already mentioned the name of my company, I want to take this opportunity to thank my sponsor for sending me in another country to further my studies and for giving me allowance just enough to buy Malaysia's Nasi Lemak (laughs).

  
         



             Coming back, yes, women got a place for such male dominated industry. Gender shouldn't be a basis for judgement whether an individual can pursue his/her desires in life. It's just mindset, mind over matter. Regardless of gender, people have rights. Rights to sort things out, to choose the path they want to take, and to become the person they visualize in front of the mirror. I encountered few discouragements before, as we all know it is so seldom to hear or to see females working on board a ship, I mean as a ship crew. But nah, I'm quite hard headed at the same time I am confident and I believe in myself that I can do stuffs provided that I will set my eyes and my soul into achieving it and with God's 24/7 guidance as well as my family's undying support, strengthening my support system each and everyday.

As of the moment, I am not yet on my full potential as a seafarer since I am still studying and preparing myself to go on my required practical on board sea service, hopefully will be commencing next year. 

This "blogging" thing is new to me, I am such a rookie in this field. I hope you got a thing or two from what I wrote above. And by the way, I still have 11 more blog entries to make so please bear with me and perhaps you can read all my blogs later? 



































Comments

Post a Comment